Monday, October 6, 2014

Week 66 - We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet‏

Hello All!
     I hope you've had a great week and a truly inspiring General Conference weekend!  (Congratulations to Elder Deric Beacco for being in the awesome missionary choir!  It was so good to see him) Conference is such an incredible blessing, and I wish I'd though of it more as that blessing before my mission.  For two days, about 10 hours, we have the opportunity to hear from God's servants.  And, as He tells us in D&C 1:38, "whether by mine own voice‍ or by the voice‍ of my servants, it is the same."  Man, He really loves us to give us that chance to hear His words!  I learned a lot, but I'll share more about that in a bit.
    The work is going well as always!  We were pretty busy this week with meetings and other mission-related stuff, but we were still blessed with chances to help people come unto Christ.
    Jansley is all set to be baptized on Saturday.  We have one more lesson with him, then his interview, and then he's good.  I continue to be grateful for his sweet and humble spirit; he's just a good kid.  I know we have a lot to learn from our younger brothers and sisters, and it's always a privilege to be able to teach one.
    We were also finally able to see Josie and Clayton again yesterday!  They've been going through a rough time lately, so we went by yesterday evening to drop off some cookies and see how they were doing.  We had a good time with them, and will hopefully be going by for a lesson on Wednesday.  Though they've gone through a lot of trials, they've let it humble them and lead them to Christ.  I wish I was better at doing that in my life.
    Mauricio and Audrey are both doing well.  We saw each of them at General Conference, and they seemed to enjoy it.  I'm sure that's got to be a crazy new experience for them, but I know there was something in it for them, specifically. 
    I bet you probably noticed that there were a lot of talks about prophets, and especially President Monson, during Conference.  I don't know why that was, but I'm sure there's a reason.  Whatever the reason, I wanted to take the opportunity to bear my testimony of President Thomas S. Monson.  There is no question in my mind that he is a prophet of God.  I've been given a pretty cool blessing as far as that goes; at least while I've been on my mission. Every time General Conference comes around and President Monson stands up for the first time, the Spirit testifies to me that he is a prophet, and that I need to listen to him.  I finished reading Ether today in the Book of Mormon, and I realized more how important it really is to follow the prophet.  In chapter 13 of Ether, it talks about the prophet Ether, and a promise that he made to the king, Coriantumr.  Coriantumr and his people, the Jaredites, were a very wicked people at this point, and they were destroying each other because of that.  In verse 20, it says, "the word of the Lord came to Ether, that he should go and prophesy‍ unto Coriantumr‍ that, if he would repent, and all his household, the Lord would give unto him his kingdom and spare the people—" If he did not,"they should be destroyed, and all his household save it were himself... ; and every soul should be destroyed save it were Coriantumr."  Coriantumr didn't repent, and the Lord's promise was fulfilled.  The Jaredites were completely destroyed.  If Coriantumr had repented, it wouldn't have happened.  President Monson is just as much a prophet as was Ether, and if we follow his counsel, we can be saved from the evil of the world we live in today; we can be saved from destruction and a lot of sadness.  I encourage anyone who doesn't feel like they know we have a prophet in President Monson to ask God if we do.  He'll tell you.  I know that.
    Thank you all so much for your emails and your love.  I've been blessed with so many good, righteous, kind, and loving people in my life, and I hope you all have a great week!  Be good!  Have fun!
Love ya!
Elder Hafen

No comments:

Post a Comment