Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Week 90 - A Proclamation‏

Hello All!
    Spring has sprung and I'm definitely ready for it!  I hope you've all had a great week, and I'm grateful for your emails and kindness.  You're the best!  I was sad to hear about the passing of President Grey Larkin this week.  A lot of you didn't know President Larkin, but he was a great man, and a righteous servant of God who I looked up to a lot.  He'll definitely be missed.
    Things are great in The Hat, and we were quite a bit busier this week teaching more less active members of our ward, though we still haven't been blessed with any new investigators to teach yet.  Jason and Brenda, who we've met with before, are doing well, though Jason just got laid off from his job, which is tough.   A lot of families are having to deal with that right now due to the slump in oil prices. (At least, that's what I think it is, with my very limited access to news.)  We were able to teach them about the Restoration of the Gospel through Joseph Smith this week, which I love to teach.  How blessed are we to have the fullness of the restored gospel in our lives?
    We also started meeting with Sarah, who was baptized a few years ago, but hasn't been out for a while and struggles with some health issues.  We'll hopefully be able to start seeing her at church some more.  Another less active brother we tried to start teaching this week, Steve, wasn't so interested in coming back, but it gave us a great opportunity to testify to him that he truly has a Father in Heaven who loves him so dearly, no matter what we do or have done.
    Eva was doing pretty well this week, though struggling with her health.  A lot of her health problems have been caused by her smoking habit, which she seems to be starting to overcome!  Boo yah!  She even had a non-member friend at our lesson this week, Dave, who we gave a blessing to.  We actually gave a blessing to both he and Eva, and it was a great experience.  We gave him a couple of pamphlets at the end of the lesson, and it turns out he already had one.  I was a little caught off guard, thinking that maybe he'd been given some Jehovah Witness stuff, but it turns out he'd found a Book of Mormon and pamphlet that I'd forgotten in the front entrance of the nursing home they live in a couple weeks ago.  That was a pretty miraculous mistake.  Hopefully he'll be interested in learning more in the future.
    This weekend we also had the privilege of being a part of the Medicine Hat Stake Conference.  Elder Donald Deshler of the 70 was visiting, and it was a great conference with a lot learned.  One thing that I gained a new appreciation for in particular was the family.  Elder Deshler invited us all to read, ponder, and pray about "The Family: A Proclamation to the World", and I took him up on that.  (I invite all of you to do the same, too!) I also want to testify that that truly is an inspired document, and that we need to commit ourselves to protecting the family.  It really is ordained of God!  Our family members aren't just people we're related to, they're people we can be with forever in unimaginable joy!  They're people who have helped and who help us become who our Heavenly Father wants us to be.  They're also people we have a responsibility toward to help and bless and serve.  I want to thank my wonderful family for being so wonderful to me.  They've all helped me become better, and they've all served and loved me so much.  I especially want to thank my good and righteous parents for doing all they've done to create such a loving home for all of us.  I've been so incredibly blessed with the family I have.
    I hope you're all having a great day, and that you have a great week.  Thanks again.  Remember to smile!  Be good!  Have fun!

Love,
Elder Hafen

No comments:

Post a Comment