Monday, December 29, 2014

Week 78 - Post Christmas Surprises

Hello All!

    Well, Christmas was the best, as usual.  I hope it was a great day for all of you as well, especially you elders and sisters and families of elders and sisters out there.  I can't think of too many better Christmas presents than being able to be see and be with (pretty much) my family on that best day of the year.  I can't even describe how happy I was to see them again and talk to them again.  To make it all even crazier, we'll actually be with (really) each other again before I know it!  Time flies so fast, and that's just a testimony to me of how much we really have to do during this probationary life we've been given and how much I have to do in these last 6 months of my mission!  Let's do this!
   
Christmas was definitely the highlight of the week, but there were lots of other great things as well.  On Christmas Eve, we spent the evening with an awesome family that honestly reminded me of my own family.  There was lots of good food and fun and the Spirit was definitely there.  It made me think about how nice it will be to finally have a Christmas with my whole family back together again next year, since we haven't had one of those for six years now.  It's gonna be great. :)  We also spent some time with some pretty wonderful families on Christmas Day, and it was nice to share in some of their Christmases and the Spirit that was in their homes.  I also got to meet Diana this week.  She's a member of our YSA Branch who joined the church a few years ago, and has since become less active.  We had a really nice visit with her, and she said she'd like to get herself back in the church.  It'll be a challenge to overcome those habits that she's developed over the last few years, but I'm sure she can.
    Highlight number two from this week was a bit of a surprise Christmas gift (a couple days late).  Our branch president called us on Friday night, telling us he needed some help with something the next morning.  So, we showed up the next day to help him out with it.  He was kind of humming and hawing for a bit, and I honestly thought we were going to get in trouble for something.  Then, there was a knock at the door, and he asked me to get it.  "That's kinda weird." I thought, but I opened the door, and who was there but...Rob! 
He and Sister Paxman had figured out where I was serving, and managed to set the meeting up.  Haha, I wish someone had gotten a picture of my face when I saw them.  We had a really nice visit, and it was great to hear about Rob's progress.  He's received the priesthood now, and has been helping pass the sacrament.  He's getting pretty bored of the gospel principles class, so he'll probably be going to gospel doctrine soon.  He's also really excited to go to the temple next year, and Sister Paxman doesn't think he even needs a temple prep class since he's prepared himself so for it already.  I couldn't help but stare and smile probably the whole time.  I just can't express how blessed I've been to know the two of them as well as many of the other people the Lord has guided me to while I've been here and at home.  They (and all of you too) are truly some of the greatest blessings I've ever received.
    Well, I've got to get running now, but I hope you all have a fantastic new year this week.  Be sure to set some good goals for yourself to make sure you make the most of the time you have.  I love you all so much!  Be good!  Have fun!

Love,
Elder Hafen

1 comment:

  1. Hi this is rob and dawn, just looked up and found elder haffen a blog. I want u all to know how modest he is being. We just want his family to know that we have seen many missionaries after elder haffen, rob has out right told me that had it not been elder haffen and elder law, he would probably not have taken interest, but the thing that made him listen was their incredible spirit. Elder haffen as we talk about him to other missionaries, we find he is very infamous, they all say we heard about him he, we have heard he is amazing. I hope his family realize that he is here for business, he lives daily to have the spirit with him and is not just putting in time. We love him like a son. Thank you for sharing him

    ReplyDelete