Monday, March 31, 2014

Week 39 - I'm Dreaming of a Green April Fools'‏

Hello All!

    It's been an interesting week!  First off, I'm glad to hear that things are going well for all of my wonderful family and friends.  I will say I'm jealous of the weather in beautiful, sunny St. George.  Up here in Calgary, it's still rather cold...and white.  Hopefully that will start to go away this week, but we will see.  I'm sure you're all wondering, so I'll let you know where I am!  I've been transferred into the Calgary South Stake, and am serving in the Sundance and McKenzie wards.  My new companion is Elder Dominic Bensing.  He is from Western Germany, and just finished being trained in Magrath, so we whitewashed into this area.  It's been an adventure!
    The last couple of days in 12th Ward was pretty hard.  I'd gotten very comfortable in that ward, and I will miss it, but I know I'm where I'm supposed to be now.  We went on splits Tuesday night, and I went with one of our bishopric members to see Rob.  It was a bit of an emotional lesson, not surprisingly, but it was awesome.  He said a beautiful prayer to close it.  I am so grateful for that man, and the opportunity I've had to know him, and I can't wait for the day he's baptized.  If I'm able to be there for it, I will really count myself lucky.  We said some more goodbyes that night and the next morning, and then it was off to transfer station on Wednesday about noon.  It was tough to say goodbye to my district and zone as well.  We'd become really close, but one of the Elders from my last district is here in the zone, so that's great.
    We then drove up to transfer station in Calgary and found out our new companions and areas.  Elder Bensing and I then headed to our area.  We've basically spent the last few days trying to figure out what's been going on here.  We've met a few great people in our wards, and I am really excited to be here!
    We have a couple of investigators here who we haven't had the chance to meet with yet, so I can't really update you too much on them yet, but I will hopefully be able to tell you some more about them next week.
    We did, however start teaching a new investigator yesterday.  His name is Tethloch, and he's the 9 year-old son of a recent convert in one of our wards.  His dad was baptized just over a year ago, and is from South Sudan.  They are a really awesome, humble family, and I can't wait to get to know them more.  Sadly, the reason Tethloch isn't baptized already is because his mom won't give him permission to be, but we're hoping her heart will be softened.
    Well, that's been our week.  I wish I could tell you more, but I can tell you that I am so grateful to be here, and I look forward to the growth that I know I'm going to experience here.  We've been setting goals as a zone and I've been thinking quite a lot about what goals I could set for myself, and I've come to appreciate more how important goals, and especially inspired goals, are.  In Preach My Gospel, there is a section on setting goals, and there's a quote from Elder Ballard that really got me thinking about goals and how important they are to our progression. He said, "I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life.”  We all have so much potential, and if we're going to reach it, we need to set goals, work hard, and utilize the Atonement in our lives.  I know that our Heavenly Father wants so much for us, and I hope I'll be able to become who I'm meant to be here.  Right now, I just have to try to listen as He teaches me who that is.
    Thank you all so much for your support.  These last few days have been crazy and overwhelming, and I am so grateful to know I have people who love and care for me, and I want you to know that you are in my prayers.  Have a wonderful week!  Be good!  Have fun!

I love you all so much,
Elder Hafen

No comments:

Post a Comment