Monday, March 10, 2014

Week 36 - Spring is Just Around the Corner.....We Hope!

Hello All!

    How are all of you wonderful people?  It sounds like things are just swell!  Congratulations right off the bat to all of my friends getting their mission calls and such this week.  This is the greatest work ever, and I can't wait for you all to be out here!  (You getting your calls also makes me feel like I've been out here a long time. ;) )  I hear the weather in good ol' St. George is just gorgeous, and it is pretty awesome up here, too!  A Chinook blew in a couple of days ago; the snow is pretty much all melted, the temperature has shot up, and I'm not even wearing thermals under my pants today!  Gotta love Canada, eh?
    Things here are great, as usual.  We got some exciting news today from President Nicholas: Elder Nelson is coming to speak to us this week!  It's kind of short notice, but we are so lucky to have the opportunity to hear from two apostles in less than six months.  I can't wait to be able to share what the Spirit teaches me next week!
    There's not too much to update you on since last week.
    Rob continues to be awesome as ever.  His divorce is still pending, but hopefully it will be finished soon.  He prayed in a lesson we had with him, and expressed his desire to be baptized to his Heavenly Father.  It was really touching to see how willing and anxious he is to follow the Savior's example and become a part of His church.  In fact, I think he'll actually be coming out with us on splits this week, which he seemed to be really excited about!
    Ben, Beth, and Sam are doing well.  We ran into Ben on Saturday night as we were walking down his street, and got an idea of what's going on, since we haven't had the chance to get over there again.  I guess some things are starting to slow down a bit more in their lives, but others are just picking up.  Ben bore his testimony to us, practically, and told us they were going to be at church the next day... which they weren't.  It's been sad to see them struggle without the support and blessings of being fully active in the gospel, but we'll keep trying and hope to see some good progress happen soon.
    We're also planning on meeting with the part member family I've mentioned before this week.  She's in the primary presidency, and he's not a member, but has been coming to church for years.  His name is Darren, and he's a really awesome guy!  He's been taught by the missionaries before... a lot, and there are some things that are holding him back from joining the church.  Hopefully, we'll be able to discover what those are a little more and help him in seeing how blessed he and his family will be when he embraces the gospel in its fullness. 
    This week, I've really been learning a lot about faith.  In Preach My Gospel, there is a section on Christlike Attributes, and I try to work on one every two weeks or so, and faith has been the one this week.  As I was thinking about it this morning, I thought about the people who accuse those of us who follow Christ as being sheep.  In a sense, they're exactly right!  He is the Good Shepherd, and we are His fold.  As the Shepherd, He knows where He's taking us, and it's much better than anywhere we could imagine.  All we have to do is trust Him; when the path gets rough, when we get discouraged, when it seems like nothing is going as it should, the best thing we can do is continue to follow him, and He will see us through to the green pasture where we can be with Him and those we love forever.
    Well, you're all wonderful people, and I hope you remember that!  Good luck with all that you do.  Build up the Kingdom wherever you are.  Be good! Have fun!

I love you all so much,
Elder Hafen

No comments:

Post a Comment