Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Week 26 - The Dark Year

Hello All!


    Christmas is a good day. :)  I hope you all had a fantastic one, because I know I did!  When you're like me, and you haven't seen your family for about five months, Skype is nice.  But really, it is amazing how much just seeing your family after not for a while can mean.  Christmas is pretty much the best....closely followed by Mother's Day. 
    Apart from Christmas, this has been a fantastic week!  One of the more exciting events of the week: Ben and Beth are finally home!  They got back early on Saturday morning, and were able to make it to church yesterday.  It's great to see them again, especially doing as well as they are.  They're still planning on being baptized this Wednesday, which means we kind of have to scramble to get everything ready, but it's all working together really well, and it should be just fine.  Needless to say, we're a little excited for Wednesday.  Allison didn't return with Ben and Beth, but we're hoping she'll be back soon, and she can continue to progress.  
   
Rob is also doing very well!  We had a couple of lessons with him this week, as well as a Christmas dinner with he and his fiancée, Dawn.  We had a lesson with him last night that was particularly good.  He's been reading a lot from the Book of Mormon with Dawn, and is trying to figure out for himself if it's true.  He's seen a lot of the hypocrisy and greed and such in organized religion in the past,  but I think he's really been impressed with what he's seen of the church so far.  We really just helped him to know that the way he'll know that everything we've talked about is true is through the Book of Mormon.  He was very attentive and receptive, and he accepted the invitations we extended, including the invitation to be baptized once he knows for himself.  It's been great to work with him.
    Overall, the week was great, though people were busy and it was sometimes hard to meet with them.  But it's ok!  This week is going to be great!  We're looking forward to Ben and Beth's baptism, transfers are on Wednesday, (Don't worry, I don't think either of us will be transferred.) and it's the New Year!  Huzzah!
Well, before I close things up, I just wanted to share with you something that's really been standing out to me lately, and that's the healing power of the Atonement.  I don't have any scriptural backing or anything right off the top of my head, but I know that the Atonement can heal us.   
We can't get through this life without picking up some pain.  Whether it's caused by others or by ourselves, it's there, and it definitely drags us down and prevents us from attaining our full potential.  But, we don't have to continue to carry it.  Through the Atonement, we can be made whole.  All we have to do is rely on Christ.  Sometimes, that's hard, and it takes sacrifice on our part, but it's more than worth it.  I just want to bear my testimony of that.    
    Well, you're all wonderful people, and I hope you have a great week, and a Happy New Year!  Be good!  Have fun!

I love you all so much!
Elder Hafen

No comments:

Post a Comment