Friday, September 27, 2013

Week 12 - D&C 18:15

Hello All!

    How's it going, my wonderful friends and family?  It sounds like there are lots of fun things going on at home, and some not so fun.  (Sorry all my fellow BYU fans.  We know that good always prevails in the end. ;) )  
   
First of all, yes, Jonathan's baptism did go through on Saturday!  It was amazing!  Jonathan's a popular kid, and there were something like 56 people at the service, including his non-member mother and sister.  His grandpa baptized him, which is something he's been waiting to do for a very long time.  The Spirit was most definitely there, and it was wonderful to see how touched everyone was, especially his sister.  Because his mom wouldn't be able to be in church the next day, the confirmation also took place on Saturday, and it was beautiful.  Jonathan's grandma died of cancer pretty recently, and she's had a big influence on all of this.  It was mentioned in the confirmation that she was there, and I can tell you she was.  I couldn't help thinking of my own angel grandmother, and I know she was watching as well.  
    A couple of our investigators were also at the baptism, and they really felt the Spirit as well.  Megan was one who attended, and it was almost a negative experience for her, just because she knows that she needs and wants to be baptized, but she can't be.  We're really hoping and praying for a miracle in the heart of her dad.  
    Joe was also there, and he told us he felt something.  He us so incredibly prepared!  We met with him again this week, and invited him to be baptized.  He accepted!  We also asked him if he would prepare to be baptized on the 5th of October, but he's a little hesitant about that, just because of his family situation.  He's living with his mom here, and doesn't want to cause any contention.  He did say that once he's 18, which will be next March, he'll definitely be baptized!  We're hoping that him being baptized won't be something that will cause problems, and that he'll be able to be sooner rather than later.  Like I said, he is so incredibly prepared.
   
The rest of the week was great!  We had our first really cold day, which we decided to walk in for a bit.  Not a good idea.  It was about 4 degrees Celsius, so just above freezing, and rainy and windy.  It was cold...and wet.  But at least I know it's only going to get colder! ;)
    This week, I was studying quite a bit about obedience.  (It's kind of an important topic as a missionary. haha) The Christlike Attributes section of Preach My Gospel has quite a bit about it, and one scripture really stood out to me.  It's Mosiah 15:7, and it says, talking about Christ, "the will of the Son being swallowed up in the will of the Father."  We know that Christ was perfect, but I think I sometimes disconnected that from his obedience.  They're almost one in the same, though!  One of the reasons Christ was perfect was because he always did the will of the Father.  Always!  I thought of it a bit like building a house.  Our Heavenly Father has prepared everything.  The foundation is laid, the frame is cut; it just needs to be put together.  That's where we come in.  We are tools in the Father's hands, or, at least, we should be!  Now, if we aren't reliable tools, can we really expect our Father to use us?  Can we really expect the joy and peace that He promises to give us as we do obey His commandments?  Sometimes, the task He gives us can seem too huge or too hard to accomplish, but he hasn't left us alone and helpless.  Like He says in D&C 84:88, "for I will go before your face.  I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."
   
Well, you're all wonderful.  I love you and miss you!  My wonderful mother sent me a package that I got this week, and I got a very nice card in it as well. :)  Thank you to all of my friends who were able to sign it.  It's nice to know that somebody remembers me. ;)  I love you.  Be righteous.  Have fun!

Love,
        Elder Hafen

No comments:

Post a Comment