Sunday, June 8, 2014

Week 48 - You Never Know

Hello All!


    I hope you've all had a fantastic week with lots of success and smiles and such.  It's strange to think that June is upon us, and that the winter is officially gone.  It's seemed like ages since I got into a car and it was actually warm! WARM!  I've gained a new appreciation for leaves and blossoms and short sleeve shirts.  Spring is truly upon us here, (I know quite a while after all of you) and it's great.
    One of the reasons I have such an appreciation for Spring this week is that we were able to spend a lot of time out in it.  Elder Asay and I had some serious luck with appointments cancelling on us, so we were trying to do a lot of street/park contacting etc. It was actually pretty fun, and we're definitely going to have a better week this week as far as teaching lessons goes.
    As a result of our lack of lessons, I sadly don't have too much new to report on most of our investigators.  We should be seeing Drey tonight, and he seems to be progressing well.  We haven't had much luck seeing Sesilia lately, but we're hoping to soon.  The H family, however, are doing very well!
    We went and had a lesson with the Hs on Tuesday, and brought their fellowshippers, a couple in McKenzie ward, with us. (The husband is the former bishop, and they're awesome.) We started out by asking them what their experience had been thus far with meeting with us, and what their expectations were for our visits.  It turned into much more of a serious discussion than we've had in the past, and the Spirit was so strong!  Sister H actually started out by asking us about Revelation 22:18 which says,"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:" People will often try to use this scripture to refute the Book of Mormon, but we were able to help her understand that that's not what it's talking about.  As the lesson went forward, we were pretty surprised to find that she is not as devoted to her church as we thought.  She, and Brother H especially, have had some pretty negative experiences in that church, including having a lot of frankly anti stuff taught to them, and nothing but positive experiences with this church and the members of it they know.  It was a really intense lesson, and Brother H even left his playoff hockey game in the other room to join in! ;)  Needless to say, they agreed to read and pray about the Book of Mormon, and I think we can expect to see them at church soon!  I love the Spirit!
    That makes me want to talk about something I've learned a lot about this week: pride.  I spent part of my personal study a couple of days ago studying the talk, "Beware of Pride" from President Ezra Taft Benson.  It was fantastic!  We all struggle with the "universal sin" of pride at times, and I've really been trying to strip myself of it.  Frankly, it's a lonely and unsuccessful life when we put pride between us and the Lord.  He wants to help us.  He wants to guide us.  He wants us to be happy and successful.  All we have to do is humble ourselves before Him and "becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."(Mosiah 3:19)  It'll be worth it.  I know it.
    Well wonderful people, I hope you have a great week.  Thank you all so much for your support and your love.  It means a lot, and it makes a difference.  Be good!  Remember who you are!  Have fun!

I love you all so much!
Elder Hafen

No comments:

Post a Comment