Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Week 15 - Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!

Hello All!

    First off, I am so so so so so so so so so SO sorry that I didn't get an email off to you all last week.  I won't make excuses, and I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again!
    Things are great up here in the CCM!  Transfers were this past Wednesday, and yes, I do have a new companion.  His name is Elder Lauzon (Loh-zahn). (He's French-Canadian ;) ) He's from Ontario, and has only been a member of the church for about two years.  He joined while he was attending college, and is the only member of the church in his family.  Crazy.  He's been out on his mission for about 14 months now, and I am learning and going to learn a lot from him!  Elder Lauzon is also our new district leader, so I have the opportunity to see how mission leadership works a little bit more now.
    Raymond is wonderful, as usual, and I'll be very sad to leave this place.  Since I'm not training this transfer, I think I'll be gone at the end of this transfer, but who knows!  We have some awesome investigators who are progressing really well, and a lot of potential in the area.  We also still have our awesome dinners every night, and had a great (Canadian) Thanksgiving with one of our favorite families in town, the Clarks.  We're off to a couple more of those today, as well!  (Surprisingly, I've only gained about 5-10 pounds here!)
    Some of the big news from this past week is about Joe.  We had Joe on date for his birthday, the second of March, but were a little worried that his difficult family situation would mean that he would be sent back to London sometime soon.  Not fun.  Anyway, a counselor went and met with he and his mom and step-dad, and things are on a dramatic upswing!  His situation at home is improving- his step-dad even let him borrow a suit to wear to church yesterday- and he'll probably be baptized in the next couple of weeks!  I am so grateful to have been able to teach Joe, and be a part of his life.  He has been so prepared by our Heavenly Father to hear this message, and I can't wait to see the difference being a member of the church and receiving all the blessings that come with that will make for him!
    We also committed another one of our investigators, Shayden, to be baptized in November!  He's about nine, and is a great kid!  He's the son of a less-active member, who I've talked about a bit, in another ward of ours, and I really hope that his baptism will help his dad see what needs to change in his life.  
    Meagan and Caelin are doing well, Caelin and her little sister came to all three hours of church yesterday, but we're a little bummed since we can't meet with Ethan again for the rest of the month; he's grounded. :P  Don't get grounded, kids!
    Everything else is going just great, and I think we're about to start doing a lot more.  Elder Lauzon is an incredibly hard worker, and, even though I'm sure I'll be exhausted every day, we're going to get a lot done!  That kind of brings me to one of my favorite quotes from Preach My Gospel on page 97. "your confidence and faith should be in Christ, not in yourself."  Sometimes, it's really easy to have confidence that we can get things done on our own, but we're pretty helpless without our Savior and His Atonement.  Without Jesus Christ, we would be pretty much hopeless.  I know that I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing now if it weren't for Him, and I know it's going to be that way for the rest of my life.  The Atonement and Gospel of Jesus Christ help us get through the difficult times in our lives, and make the good times so much better!  It's pretty much the best thing ever. :)
    I love you all!  I'm sorry again about last week.  Have a great week!  Be good!  Have fun!

Love,
Elder Hafen

No comments:

Post a Comment